This over-the-top double IPA was the initial inspiration for the Hopsplosion DIPA in Episode 71: Hop Madness 2012.
2011 Wet Hopped Simcoe Harvest Ale
For approx 5 gallon batch
Target OG: 1.077, target FG 1.014, ~8.2%ABV
Approx 13.5 SRM (copper/blood-red), 95 IBUs
Grain Bill (70% efficiency, Milwaukee water with 1 tsp Gypsum in boil)
- 12 lbs Rahr 2-row
- 2.5 lbs Torrified Wheat
- 1/2 lb UK Medium Crystal
- 1/2 lb Baird's Carastan Malt
- 2 oz Weyermann Carafa III Special
- 1/2 lb Corn Sugar (60)
Mash grains at 149*F for 90 minutes.
- 1 oz 12.2% pellet Simcoe FWH
- 2 oz 12.2% pellet Simcoe 10 min.
- 2 oz 10% pellet Centennial 10 min.
- 2 lbs Wet Simcoe (Hopback) - Steep 30 minutes
- Wyeast 1028 London Ale (3 packs or a 1.5L starter)
Tasting notes: the wet hops added a really rich black tea flavor and aroma, especially when combined with the molasses/treacle notes from the crystal malts and the Carafa. Sticks and branches and the forest floor come to the forefront as it warms. Sticky and dense, but delightfully drinkable.