As brewed by Bryon Adams in Brewing TV - Episode 40: Bad Ass Brewery. Inspired by "Absent Friends Burton Ale" recipe from Zymurgy magazine (Jan/Feb 2011). See back issue for history on style and tips/tricks to brewing some a bodacious beer.
[Update - June 2012 - Bryon and Chip met up for one-year tasting notes on this beer in this video... six months to go!]
Details for 10-gallon batch
Original Gravity (post-boil): 1.084
- 26 lbs Maris Otter
- 0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
- 2 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (first wort hops)
- 16 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (90 min)
- 3 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings (dry hops after aging 12-18 months)
- Wyeast 1945 NB NeoBritannia (two-step starter)
** See episode for pre-mill malt conditioning method **
- Mash-in @ 150F
- Rest for 60 min
- Sparge with 169F water until 12 gallons collected
- Add 2 oz FWH whole leaf East Kent Goldings hops as kettle fills with wort
- At near-boil start adding and stirring in 16 oz whole leaf East Kent Goldings hops (good luck!)
- Boil 90 min
- Chill and transfer to fermentor. Pitch yeast.
- Rack to secondary at SG 1.017.
- Store and mature 12-18 months.
- Prior to bottling/kegging, dry hop with 3 oz East Kent Goldings for two weeks.