Mash-up of a Belgian Dubbel and American Brown Ale. Designed by Michael Dawson. Tweaked by Chizzer Wizzer (where noted). Here's a video showing my spartan method of cooling the fermentation down to about 70F.
OG - 1.048 (with 0.5 lb Dark Belgian Syrup) or 1.054 (with full pound of syrup, like I used)
FG (expected) - 1.011
- 1.0 lb Crystal/Caramel 60L
- 0.25 lb Carafa III
- 6.0 lbs Gold LME
- 1.0 lb Dark Belgian Syrup (I used the full pound.... Dawson called for 0.5 lb)
- 1 oz Cluster whole leaf hops - First Wort Hop (added to the grain sack with the steeping grains... not part of original recipe)
- 1 oz. Cluster pellet hops - 60 min
- 0.5 oz Centennial whole leaf hops - 15 min
- 0.5 oz Centennial whole leaf hops - 0 min
I made a starter of Wyeast 3538-PC Leuven Pale Ale Yeast. It was a Private Collection (limited) release for Spring 2010. Not sure what other strain would be best substituted, but you can find its stats here and compare to the other year-round or future PC releases.
- I steeped grains and First Wort Hops in three gallons of water from cool to about 165, pulled and drained bag
- Brought that steeped water to a near boil and added all the LME and Dark Syrup
- Brought dark malted water to boil, added 60 min Cluster pellets
- With 15 min left in boil, I added 0.5 oz Centennial whole leaf hops to my reusable nylon steeping bag... and Irish moss.
- With 10 min left in boil, I added 1/2 tsp. Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
- With 1 min left in boil, I added another 0.5 oz Centennial whole leaf hops to the steeping bag
- Used immersion wort chiller to get to about 85F. Topped off to 5-gallons. OG: 1.053. Pitched insane yeast starter that had been going for about three days and was smelling like a funky Belgian beer all on its own.
- Put bucket into tub with water and ice packs (swapped out daily or when needed) to maintain primary fermenting temperature of 70F.
- After 4 days in bucket / tub combo, the SG is 1.013. Doing pretty good. BTV is leaving for Wisconsin today for four days of shooting so there will be no ice-swapping while I'm gone. Hopefully it will like the slight rise in temperature and lose a few more points. I would love for it be at 1.011 when I get back.
- Expecting to rack to secondary on Friday August 13, 2010. ..... more to come.