Beer writer, homebrewer, and Cascadian Dark Ale advocate Abram Goldman-Armstrong shared this recipe with us during the production of our episode on Cascadian Dark Ale. Here is his recipe and notes. Enjoy the dark side of this hoppy beer.
Batch size: 10 gallons
OG - 1.062
FG - 1.011
- 22# Gambrinus organic 2-row
- 2# Briess organic 60L caramel
- 0.5# Briess organic roast
- 1.5# Weyermann Carafa II
- 0.5# Breiss organic chocolate malt
Single infusion mash at 151F for 1 hour 15 minutes
Hop Schedule (75 minute boil)
- First wort hop with 1 oz. Centennial whole hops 9.3% a.a.
- 60 min - 2 oz Summit pellets 18.1% a.a.
- 15 min - 1 oz Amarillo whole hops 8.4% a.a.
- 15 min - 1 oz Centennial whole hops 9.3% a.a
- Flame off - 1 oz Amarillo whole hops 8.4% a.a.
- Flame off - 1 oz Simcoe pellets 12.2% a.a.
Ferment with 1318 slurry from Hopworks 7 days in low 70’s F
Transfer, age at 64F for eight days, then keg.
Dryhopped one keg with 1.5 oz Amarillo whole hops (one ounce probably would have been sufficient).
Kilt not required to enjoy a CDA, but it can't hurt.