Big and little, tall and short, high-gravity and session, barleywine and pale: a parti-gyle brewday from Episode 26.
For two beers, approx. 5 gallons each:
- 149 F - 75 min.
- 168 F - 5 min
1st Gyle: The Wookiee
Target OG: 1.090-something (achieved 1.092)
Collect first runnings to preboil volume (7 gallons on my system).
- 2.5 oz Summit (pellets) @ 60"
- 2 oz Centennial (homegrown) @ 10"
- 2 oz Centennial (homegrown) @ 0"
2nd Gyle: The Ewok
Target OG: ??? (achieved 1.044, ymmv)
Continue sparging w/ H20 to preboil volume or desired gravity.
- 0.5 oz Summit (pellets) @ 60"
- 2 oz Liberty (homegrown) @ 10"
- 2 oz Liberty (homegrown) @ 0"
- Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, 65 F
- Wookiee gets additional O2 @ 24 hrs. and 1 lb of Ames Farm Minnesota honey @ 48 hrs
Can't parti-gyle an extract brew, but here are single-batch approximations for each beer:
Steep 1 lb. Caramel 60; sub 12 lbs Northern Brewer Gold malt syrup for the Gambrinus ESB base malt. Boil as much volume as you can - kettle and fermentation additions as above.
For more parti-gyle brewday rundowns: